All visitors must be at least 14 years of age or older. Exceptions are made for the Intensive Care Unit and the Obstetrical Care Unit.
Each unit at Kona Community Hospital has visiting rules specific to the needs of the patients. Please refer to the unit brochure or letter that describes the ages, numbers of visitors and times of visitation allowed on the unit.
- Our hospital is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Our visitation policies are meant to support a healing and nurturing environment for our patients. We know how important family is to the well-being of our patients and we will try to accommodate our patients’ individual needs. The hospital reserves the right to limit visitation in certain situations, if it is considered to be in the best interest of patients, visitors and staff.
- For the protections and security of everyone in our facility, we ask visitors coming to the hospital after 8:00 p.m. to check in with the security guard.
- As a general guideline, based on the delivery of care, the best times to visit patients on the units are between 11:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- Because of the specialized care in the following units, the recommended times to visit are as follows:
- Adult ICU 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Labor & Delivery No set hours
- Mother-baby 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Rest is an important part of our patient’s recovery. Please see the unit-specific visiting hours for the times to visit.
- Visitors are limited to two (2) at a time. In the Intensive Care Unit, we recommend 15-minute visits at a time.
- Please wash your hands when you enter and before you leave the room. Do not visit if you are sick or not feeling well. This will help protect our patients from infection or contracting other illnesses.
- Patients are more sensitive to noise than they are under normal conditions. Keep noise and conversations in the room and hallways at a “library level.” Please do not gather in the halls.
- Latex (rubber type) balloons are not allowed anywhere in the hospital. Some patients can have an extreme reaction. Mylar (foil) balloons are welcome in most areas.
- Please knock on the patient’s door and announce before entering the room (even if the door is open); it gives the patient a moment to prepare for your company. It will also alert the patient in the next bed if the room is not private.
Our gift shop, located in the lobby of the Special Services Building is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays. Merchandise includes gifts, books, cards, flowers, toiletries, and children’s toy items.
Food and Beverages Services
- Visitors are invited to use our dining room. When the dining room service is closed, assorted snacks and beverages are available from our vending machines.
- Dining Room Hours
Breakfast 7:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Lunch 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Dinner 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Chapel and Spiritual Support
The Chaplain Association of Kona Community Hospital is a volunteer program designed to provide spiritual guidance and counsel to patients of all faiths in order to assist in the healing process. Founded in 1986 by local pastors here in Kona, our goal is to see that each patient is offered a visit during their stay at the hospital. We desire to provide compassion and support to patients, family members and hospital staff.
- A Chaplain is available 24 hours a day. Please ask the nurse to page our Chaplains for any spiritual needs.
- A non-denominational Chapel is located on the lower level of the hospital. Everyone is welcome for prayer and meditation.
- Chapel Hours: Open 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Chapel Location: Lower level next to the Admitting Department
…Heart of love, Listening ear, Message of hope, Spirit of compassion…