DATE POSTED: 5/29/2020; 7/1/2020 salary rate updated
JOB TITLE: SURGICAL TECHNICIAN – FULL PERFORMANCE
RECRUITMENT NO.: KCH 20-119 (Permanent, Full Time)
JOB LOCATION: KONA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – Surgical Services
PAY AMOUNT: *$3,981 PER MO (HE08, Step A; BU:10)
FUNCTION AND LOCATION: This position works in the surgery unit/operating room of a hospital and performs a variety of technical duties as a scrub technician and is considered a member of the surgical team. The incumbent of the position is required to report to work within 30 minutes of receiving call while on standby or call back duty. MUST BE AVAILABLE TO WORK SHIFTS AS NECESSARY, BASED ON HOSPITAL OPERATIONS; SERVICES ARE PROVIDED 24/7.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated; the required education and experiences may not be gained concurrently. In addition, qualifying work experiences are based on a 40 hour work week.
Experience and Essential Knowledge and Abilities:
- One (1) year of work experience which involved instrument trays. Such experience must have demonstrated knowledge of decontamination and sterilization procedures; aseptic techniques; universal precautions and safety procedures; maintenance and care of equipment; names of surgical equipment; and the ability to assist in the preparation of surgical patients and assist and participate in the activities of the surgical team.
- Substitutions Allowed: Graduation from a nationally certified training program for Operating Room Technician, Surgical Technician, or equivalent may be substituted for this experience.
- In addition to the one (1) year of experience mentioned above, applicants must also have one (1) year of work experience in a surgical setting receiving on-the-job training which provided knowledge of surgical procedures and instruments required; and involved applying the knowledge gained by performing as a scrub technician for progressively more complicated surgical procedures. Such experience must also have demonstrated the ability to independently perform as a member of the sterile team, which involves preparing patients (i.e., shaving, draping, etc.) and the operating room for procedures.
- REQUIRED FORMS AND DOCUMENTATION: Applicants must submit evidence of the appropriate training (e.g. official transcript or diploma) to be given credit for education. A legible photocopy will be accepted; however, Hawaii Health Systems Corporation reserves the right to request an official copy. An Equal Opportunity Employer. For an application packet, click on the links below. For additional information, call (808) 322-5873 or e-mail Recruiting/Employment.
- ALL JOB VACANCIES WILL BE POSTED FOR A MINIMUM OF TEN (10) CALENDAR DAYS
- All West Hawaii Health Care Facilities are Nicotine Free
- Certification Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Workers is required at the time of appointment.
- Application form with Drug Screen Authorization
- Licensure information
- Request for Administrative Review (PDF)
- Applications are also available at:
|Kona Community Hospital Human Resources Office 79-1019 Haukapila Street Kealakekua, HI 96750
Phn: (808) 322-4458
|Kohala Hospital Human Resources Office P. O. Box 10 Kapaau, HI 96755
Phn: (808) 322-4458
Kona Community Hospital is a 94-bed full-service acute care hospital with 24-hour emergency services, proudly serving the West Hawaii community. For nearly 100 years we have been caring for the people of West Hawaii. Adding more and more services, we have constantly improved our abilities to serve our residents and visitors whenever they are in need. We are your friends and neighbors, here to help through trying times and happy moments, through crisis and celebrations. As your community hospital, you can count on us. We take pride that every patient that comes through our door is treated like “ohana.”
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES MAY CONTACT THE RECRUITMENT OFFICER AT (808) 733-4162, (TTD/TTY), or E-mail: email@example.com TO DISCUSS SPECIAL NEEDS IN APPLYING.
Application hours are: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the facility Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications. Applications for announcements with “Continuous Recruitment until Needs are Met” will be accepted as long as there are vacancies. Inactive/filled announcements will be taken off the HHSC website.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Possession of the required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for the position. Overall paid or unpaid experience must have been of such scope and responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate that you have the ability to perform the duties of this position. Provide a detailed description of your duties and responsibilities. If you worked on a part-time basis, indicate the average number of hours worked per week. Please note that experience will be based on a 40-hour workweek.
Note: We will not postpone the recruitment process because of your failure to provide accurate and complete information concerning your qualifications.
MERIT OR CIVIL SERVICE SYSTEM: Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements, including education, experience, other public employment requirements for State Civil Service employment, and HHSC Standards of Fitness. Only those applicants that are scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager will be contacted. Applications will be kept active for six (6) months.
CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and at the time of appointment intend to reside in the State of Hawaii during the course of employment with the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE: If you are claiming Veteran’s Preference, you must submit a copy of your DD214 and/or other substantiating documents specifying the periods of your service.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be able to physically and mentally perform efficiently the duties of the position. Qualified applicants with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the advertised position are encouraged to apply. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is committed to making reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodation should be ready to discuss the accommodation sought so that a determination can be made that such accommodation is reasonable and would not cause the employer undue hardship.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENT: Offers of employment will be conditioned on the results of a complete physical examination, which includes a drug screening. For certain job categories, applicants may be referred to an HHSC-designated physician, rather than the applicant’s personal physician of choice. The cost for all physical examinations, except the cost for the drug screening, shall be borne by the applicant and not the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation shall bear the cost of the drug screening.
CRIMINAL/BACKGROUND, CREDENTIALING CHECKS: Applicable checks will be conducted periodically and any associated costs may be borne by the applicant. If a job offer is made or employment is begun prior to completion of all applicable checks, any offer of employment or continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory return of all required checks.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications are available at the Kona Community Hospital, Human Resources Office, 79-1019 Haukapila Street, Kealakekua, HI 96750 or Kohala Hospital, P. O. Box 10, Kapaau, HI 96755. You can call (808) 733-4162, (Voice/TT), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.hhsc.org. Application hours are: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the facility Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications. Applications for announcements with “Continuous Recruitment Until Needs are Met” will be accepted as long as there are vacancies. Inactive/filled announcements will be taken off the HHSC website.
STEPS TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW, SUBSEQUENT APPEALS: If you do not agree with a decision made by the Employment Office as to your non-qualification or non-selection for a position, you may complete a Request for Administrative Review form (available on the HHSC website) or you may submit a written request within twenty (20) days from the date of your sent notice to the Regional Chief Executive Officer/Designee. Your letter requesting the Administrative Review must include 1. The job title(s) and recruitment number(s), 2. the specific reason(s) you are requesting the review noting if there is a statute or rule violation, and 3. any additional information you want to submit to substantiate your request. If you do not submit your request within the twenty (20) days deadline, no Administrative Review will be conducted. Since the Administrative Review is a prerequisite to subsequent steps, failure to utilize this process will make you ineligible for subsequent appeals. The administrative review, formal complaint and/or appeals hearing will not necessarily postpone the recruitment process and/or rescind a selection.
If you do not agree with the Administrative Review, you may file a Formal Complaint and then, if you are still not satisfied, you can appeal to the HHSC Merit Appeals Board.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com