DATE POSTED: 09/30/15; 1/1/20 salary rate updated
JOB TITLE: LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE – ENTRY LEVEL/FULL PERFORMANCE
RECRUITMENT NO.: KOH 15-102 (Permanent, Part-Time 60% FTE)
JOB LOCATION: KOHALA HOSPITAL, Kapaau, HI
PAY AMOUNT: 60% of *$3,610 (Entry Level HE06/BU10); 60% of *$3,903 (Full Performance HE08/BU10)
FUNCTION AND LOCATION: This position works in a nursing unit of a hospital, clinic or long term care facility and is responsible for independently performing the full range of practical nursing care and related technical work. The position may work on rotating shifts and in a variety of care units (e.g., medical, surgical, OB/GYN, ICU/CCU, ER, SNF, ICF, etc.). MUST BE AVAILABLE TO WORK SHIFTS AS NECESSARY BASED ON HOSPITAL OPERATIONS; SERVICES ARE PROVIDED 24/7.
The Minimum Qualification Requirements Are: To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently. In addition, qualifying work experience is credited based on a 40-hour workweek.
Prerequisite Qualifications Required for Entry Level
- Knowledge of: the nursing process; body structure and function; principles of asepsis; universal precautions; infection control; principles of administering medications; patient preparation for prescribed treatments and procedures; data-gathering techniques; interpersonal communication skills; alternative methods of communication for patients with special needs; environmental and patient safety; patient rights; individualization of care, including religious, cultural and developmental influences; patient age groups and the developmental process characteristic of these age groups; team participation in care planning and evaluations; therapeutic and life-saving procedures; specialized equipment; maintenance of optimal body functioning and prevention of complications; principles of body mechanics and assistive devices; comfort measures; obvious signs of emotional and mental health problems; chemical dependency; adaptive and maladaptive behavior; sensory deprivation and overload; abusive and self destructive behavior; concepts of wellness; reproduction and human sexuality; birthing and parenting; and growth and development, including dying and death.
- Ability to: apply practical nursing principles and practices; read, write, speak, understand and communicate effectively with others in English; maintain records and prepare reports; respond quickly and take appropriate action in emergencies; follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain effective relationships with other staff, patients and others.
Prerequisite Qualifications Required for the Full Performance Level
- In addition to the Entry Level Qualifications Required of All Employees:
- Experience and Essential Knowledge and Abilities: One (1) year of progressively responsible work experience in a hospital or similar health institution as a (1) licensed practical nurse, (2) licensed vocational nurse, or (3) registered professional nurse. Such work experience must have involved the performance of a variety of personal care, nursing care and related technical work for a caseload of patients and required and demonstrated possession of the knowledge of practical nursing principles and practices including patient age groups and the developmental process characteristic of these age groups; and the ability to apply them in providing care/treatment that is appropriate to the age, medical condition and/or developmental status of the patients served; and observe, record and report on the general and specific physical and mental conditions of the patients, and the signs and symptoms which may be indicative of significant changes in the condition of such patients.
License: Valid license with the State of Hawaii as a practical nurse at the time of appointment.
Education/Specialized Training: As required to apply for a State of Hawaii license as a practical nurse.
Certification Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Workers is required at the time of appointment.
Substitutions Allowed: Completion of a professional nursing curriculum from an accredited school substitutes for the experience required for the full performance level.
Desirable Qualifications: Possess an understanding of multiple cultures; and keep current in the field.
Required Forms And Documentation: Applicants must submit evidence of the appropriate training (e.g. official transcript or diploma, license, and certifications) to be given credit for education. A legible photocopy will be accepted; however, Hawaii Health Systems Corporation reserves the right to request an official copy.
For an application packet, click on the links below. For additional information, call (808) 322-5873 or e-mail Recruiting/Employment.
- Application Form (PDF)
- Drug Screen Authorization Form (PDF)
- Licensure information
- Request for Administrative Review (PDF)
Applications are also available at:
|Kona Community Hospital Human Resources Office 79-1019 Haukapila Street Kealakekua, HI 96750
Phn: (808) 322-5873
|Kohala Hospital Human Resources Office P. O. Box 10 Kapaau, HI 96755
Phn: (808) 322-5873
Kohala Hospital is a Critical Access Hospital (CAH) located in the rural town of Kapaau (North Kohala). We opened our doors to patients on April 1, 1917. At that time, it was a 14-bed facility. The cost of hospitalization at that time was $1.50 per day. In 1962, Kohala Hospital was relocated into a structure consisting of 26 inpatient beds providing both long-term and short-term acute care. Today, Kohala Hospital employs 55 employees and provides 24-hr emergency care, laboratory services, radiology services, and Skilled Nursing & Intermediate Care to our community.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES MAY CONTACT THE RECRUITMENT OFFICER AT (808) 733-4162, (TTD/TTY), or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org TO DISCUSS SPECIAL NEEDS IN APPLYING.
Application hours are: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 8:00 – 10:00 am and 1:00 – 3:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the facility Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications. Applications for announcements with “Continuous Recruitment until Needs are Met” will be accepted as long as there are vacancies. Inactive/filled announcements will be taken off the HHSC website.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Possession of the required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for the position. Overall paid or unpaid experience must have been of such scope and responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate that you have the ability to perform the duties of this position. Provide a detailed description of your duties and responsibilities. If you worked on a part-time basis, indicate the average number of hours worked per week. Please note that experience will be based on a 40-hour workweek.
Note: We will not postpone the recruitment process because of your failure to provide accurate and complete information concerning your qualifications.
MERIT OR CIVIL SERVICE SYSTEM: Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements, including education, experience, other public employment requirements for State Civil Service employment, and HHSC Standards of Fitness. Only those applicants that are scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager will be contacted. Applications will be kept active for six (6) months.
CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and at the time of appointment intend to reside in the State of Hawaii during the course of employment with the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE: If you are claiming Veteran’s Preference, you must submit a copy of your DD214 and/or other substantiating documents specifying the periods of your service.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be able to physically and mentally perform efficiently the duties of the position. Qualified applicants with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the advertised position are encouraged to apply. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is committed to making reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodation should be ready to discuss the accommodation sought so that a determination can be made that such accommodation is reasonable and would not cause the employer undue hardship.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENT: Offers of employment will be conditioned on the results of a complete physical examination, which includes a drug screening. For certain job categories, applicants may be referred to an HHSC-designated physician, rather than the applicant’s personal physician of choice. The cost for all physical examinations, except the cost for the drug screening, shall be borne by the applicant and not the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation shall bear the cost of the drug screening.
CRIMINAL/BACKGROUND, CREDENTIALING CHECKS: Applicable checks will be conducted periodically and any associated costs may be borne by the applicant. If a job offer is made or employment is begun prior to completion of all applicable checks, any offer of employment or continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory return of all required checks.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications are available at the Kona Community Hospital, Human Resources Office, 79-1019 Haukapila Street, Kealakekua, HI 96750 or Kohala Hospital, P. O. Box 10, Kapaau, HI 96755. You can call (808) 733-4162, (Voice/TT), e-mail: email@example.com or visit our website at www.hhsc.org. Application hours are: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 8:00 – 10:00 am and 1:00 – 3:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the facility Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications. Applications for announcements with “Continuous Recruitment Until Needs are Met” will be accepted as long as there are vacancies. Inactive/filled announcements will be taken off the HHSC website.
STEPS TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW, SUBSEQUENT APPEALS: If you do not agree with a decision made by the Employment Office as to your non-qualification or non-selection for a position, you may complete a Request for Administrative Review form (available on the HHSC website) or you may submit a written request within twenty (20) days from the date of your sent notice to the Regional Chief Executive Officer/Designee. Your letter requesting the Administrative Review must include 1. The job title(s) and recruitment number(s), 2. the specific reason(s) you are requesting the review noting if there is a statute or rule violation, and 3. any additional information you want to submit to substantiate your request. If you do not submit your request within the twenty (20) days deadline, no Administrative Review will be conducted. Since the Administrative Review is a prerequisite to subsequent steps, failure to utilize this process will make you ineligible for subsequent appeals. The administrative review, formal complaint and/or appeals hearing will not necessarily postpone the recruitment process and/or rescind a selection.
If you do not agree with the Administrative Review, you may file a Formal Complaint and then, if you are still not satisfied, you can appeal to the HHSC Merit Appeals Board.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org