Kona Community Hospital Surgical Technology Program Application (pdf)
Kona Community Hospital Surgical Technology Program Application (jpg)
All material that are summited to the Kona Community Hospital Surgical Technology Program becomes property of the program and cannot be returned or forwarded unless the applicant makes a formal request in writing to the program.
Any misrepresentation or omission of facts or essential documents during the application process and /or after acceptance into the program may result in a delay, denial or revocation of admission.
Pre Requirements for program and exception
College pre requirements level courses required by the program must be successfully completed with a B (3.0) or higher grade.
The classes include:
Hawaii Community College
- ENG 100- Composition I (3cr.)
- MATH 100 or higher – survey of mathematics of higher (3cr.)
- MICR 130/140L Microbiology / Lab (3 cr. / 1-2 cr.)
- PHYL 141 /141L Human Anatomy & Physiology I /Lab (3 cr. /1 cr.)
- PHYL 142 / 142L Human Anatomy & Physiology II / lab (3cr. / 1 cr.)
- PSY 100 or SOC 100 Survey of Psychology or Survey of Sociology 100 (3cr.)
- SP 151 or SP 251 Personal and Public Speech or Public Speaking (3cr.)
- HLTH 125 Survey of Medical Terminology (1cr.)
Palamanui | HCC Contact Information for Student Services/Counseling Office:
Kenoa Dela Cruz | email@example.com | (808) 934-2658
Ian Hirakawa | firstname.lastname@example.org | (808) 969-8862
- Preference will be given to Kona Community Hospital employee who meet the educational qualifications of the Surgical Technology Program at the time of application
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- The school is not approved to issue or except student visas.
- Must have an AA degree or high upon admission.
- Complete application, Incomplete applications may receive a less favorable rating or not be considered at all.
- Evidence of High school graduation or GED – Applicant must have successfully completed the minimal educational requirements for graduated from a state approved high school.
- Proof of age – 18 years or older on or before start date of the class year.
- Completed background check and pass. The Surgical Technology Program requires all students to have a Criminal Background Check.
- Ability to effectively interact with others in written and spoken English.
- Official transcript of all prior college education with proof of an AA degree or higher.
- Satisfactory references from a minimum of two individuals as requested on the application packet.
- Schedule a Pre-entrance interview with program director, instructors, and committee members. Where you can meet face to face and you can ask questions. This will help you make sure the program is a good fit for you. (Information Session)
- Completing the application does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
- All application materials may be hand-delivered to Kona Community Hospital Education Department or Mailed to:
Attention: Stephanie Irwin, MSN, RN
79-1019 Haukapila Street
Kealakekua, HI 96750
To apply to the Kona Community Hospital Surgical Technology Program, the following items must be summited to the director:
- Proof of completion of High School with GPA of 2.0 or GED with a minimum score of 450
- A formal resume
- Essay: Complete a short personal essay describing yourself, things you would like to do in your career and why you chose this profession. Maximum of 500 words
- References: Provide (2) Letters of Recommendation from persons other than relatives (mailed directly by the person providing the recommendation) to the address on the Letter of Recommendation form).
- Sign and submit all application materials (Application, Letter of Acceptance, Resume, and Essay).
- Official Transcript: Request that official college transcripts be mailed directly to:
Kona Community Hospital
Attention: Stephanie Irwin, RN
Stormy Armstrong, AAS, CST
79-1019 Haukapila Street
Kealakekua, HI 96750
- After the applications are reviewed for completeness, immunization test results are reviewed and interviews are completed, candidates to the program will be selected pending satisfactory references.
- All interviewed candidates are notified of acceptance or non – acceptance by letter from the Surgical Technology program faculty.
- Upon acceptance, a criminal background check, drug-screen panel (7), physical exam and hospital required immunizations will be required with current 2 step PPD.
- A 2 step Mantoux purified protein derivative (PPD) skin test within the last 12 months. If a positive PPD results, a recent chest x-ray report and physical examination documenting absence of fever, fatigue, night sweats, unplanned weight loss, and cough.
- Covid Vaccines with proof of two doses
Conviction of a felony or gross misdemeanor may prohibit employment in the field and may make a student ineligible to take licensing/ certification exams required for the profession.
Surgical Technology Courses
Surgical Technology courses from other programs are not transferable.